Dr Joan Lesmond, RN PhD
Executive Director – Community Engagement
- Ontario Community Support Association
- Regent Park Community Centre
- Association of Ontario Health Centres
- Betancourt, J.R., Green, A.R, Carrillo, E. & Park, E.R. (2005) Cultural Competence and Health Care Disparities: Key Perspectives and Trends. Health Affairs, 24(2), 499-505.
- Google Scholar: Cultural Competency health care
- How do you work with people who are different than you, even if they look the same as you?
- What is an example of when culture has positively/negatively impacted your experience as a healthcare provider or recipient?
“How do you work with individuals who are different to you, even if they look like you?”
“Individuals need to say, what is my basic philosophy as an person? Mine is to treat individuals as I would like to be treated or find out how they would like to be treated and treat them effectively like that”
“Because we are living in a diverse environment, how do we work/treat effectively individuals who are different, but deserve the same level of respect that you and I deserve.”