Speaking Power to Nurses

Suzanne Gordon

A journalist and writer, Suzanne shares her talent for communication with nurses. Her emphasis has been on teaching nurses to express the significant of their work and importance of their knowledge.

Suzanne Gordon

Author and Journalist

She started writing writing about nursing after having her first child and has been writing about nursing ever since. She is now focused on getting nurses to talk about nursing work in ways that highlight the competence and knowledge and not how sweet and nice they are.

Links

Question

• Suzanne: What do you think?
  • Rob: Have you ever said “I’m just a Nurse”? Have you ever heard someone say, “Any monkey could do it” and what was your response?

Feature Image: Megaphone Shout

, ,

6 Responses to “Speaking Power to Nurses”

1. Lauire
    March 11, 2009 at 2:23 pm #

Your interview with Suzanne Gordon is great! It should be aired to all nurses and nursing students! It really articulates the complexity and skill of our work. Well done!

2. C. Petree
    August 7, 2009 at 2:50 am #

Oh my gosh does she not hit the nail on the head!!! We absolutely need to talk about our knowledge and talents! I for one am tired of nurses only talking about all the caring they do…that is not what we are paid to do, and that is something "a monkey could do". We take deliberate actions, formulate plans of care, evalute and assess, nurses are continually thinking on their feet!! Thank you Suzanne for letting us know what people think of us by the way we talk about ourselves.

• nursingideas
      August 10, 2009 at 4:44 am #

Thanks for the support, I have a lot of respect for Suzanne and am very happy that nurses have such a strong supporter that isn't within the profession. She does great work, and has really helped me to push myself to watch the language I use when talking about the profession.

3. Anonymous
    April 8, 2011 at 2:24 am #

The very flexibility of nursing is what attracts people to the profession. And as a future educator, may I say to hell with the theory that part time nursing is detrimental! I’ll write my own textbook and change the dialog!

Nursing job opportunities

4. Jlrn97
    June 11, 2012 at 5:54 pm #

I get so upset with peole who make the statement “I’m just a nurse”.  Nursing a valued profession to take pride in.

• rdjfraser
      June 30, 2012 at 6:21 am #

hopefully you have read Suzanne’s Just a Nurse poster. It is very powerful!