Nursing an Entire Nation

Marla E Salmon ScD, RN, FAAN
Dean & Professor – University of Washington School of Nursing

A conversation with Marla Salmon ScD RN FAAN, current Dean and Professor at the University of Washington and former Chief Nurse of the United States of America. We discuss her experience working with Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter, and her career moving from patient to nation care. This interview was a fun and candid conversation that was made possible thanks to the kind introduction by Carla Hall and Jane Palmer from Sigma Theta Tau International, both of whom were the first live audience for a taping of Nursing Ideas.

Marla became a nurse “to make a difference in peoples lives.”

During this interview our discussion ranges from how she sent a letter to the World Health Organization to how learning etiquette and being grounded by the people around her helped her along the way. In this brief interview I got just a glimpse of the amazing leader and kind person she is. Hopefully, you will learn from her and be inspired by the simple yet very meaningful insights from her experience as a international leader in nursing.

• Marla Salmon: The next generation of nurses need to do a much better job of caring the nursing profession forward. How are you going to use web 2.0 and social networking as a way of advancing the profession and reaching people that were not possible before?

, , ,

8 Responses to “Nursing an Entire Nation”

1. Will
    November 21, 2009 at 11:55 pm #

Solid interview, Rob!

Learned a lot about the mindset of nurses and the value they bring to the world.

Sage advice from Marla Salmon too.

2. Jane Palmer
    November 24, 2009 at 2:28 pm #

Carla Hall and I had the privilege of watching this interview as it was taped. Sigma Theta Tau International published a book, Pivotal Moments in Nursing, Vol. 2, that includes a chapter about Marla Salmon, but I learned new things about her from this interview. Marla's background in international nursing and high-level policymaking is fascinating, and Rob asked insightful questions. Excellent interview!

3. A Nurse
    November 27, 2009 at 6:49 am #

Hello, I'm a nurse student and this post is very helpul to me. Thank you!

4. Peggy Hatley
    November 27, 2009 at 12:43 pm #

I am pursuing a PhD in nursing and this interview was the kick I needed to get going with it! Marla Salmon is a great nursing leader and a wonderful motivator. Thank you for this podcast series and this podcast in particular.

• nursingideas
      November 27, 2009 at 9:32 pm #

Hi Peggy, I'm so glad that it was helpful for you. Let me know if you have any questions, suggestions or feedback. Also, if you have a answer for Marla's question or any of the other interviewee's questions they would love to hear your comments. Thanks again!

5. Jermaine
    February 14, 2010 at 12:40 pm #

Great video, I bet it was a real honor to be a nurse under these great presidents of the past.

6. cashier resume sample
    February 16, 2010 at 11:50 pm #

Good Web site! I wondered if I might be able to site some of your pages and use a couple of things for a term paper. Please let me know through email if its ok or not. Thanks

7. samantha smith
    March 24, 2010 at 4:31 am #

Nursing is a fulfilling profession especially if your goal is to touch lives and create relationship to people you work with.