Peter Goossens RN PhD – email: p.j.j.goossens [at] saxion.nl
Professor in Mental Health – Saxion
Senior Researcher – Radboud University Nijmegen
Peter Goossens, a Dutch mental health nurse and researcher, and I sit down to discuss his research that helps bi-polar patients recognize on coming periods of mania and depression. We met at the Sigma Theta Tau 40th Biennial and discussed his fascinating research with mental health patients and their families. He has not only conducted excellent research he is allow a great ambassador for the profession of nursing, working to ensure the are able to fully able to support their patients and the nurses perspective is represented in national consortiums.
- PubMed Search for Peter’s Research
- Recognizing prodromes of manic or depressive recurrence in outpatients with bipolar disorder: A cross-sectional study (UPDATED SINCE ORIGINAL POST)
Peer reviewed articles
- Van der Voort T.Y., Goossens P.J.J., van der Bijl J.J. (2009) Alone together: a grounded theory study of experienced burden, coping, and support needs of spouses of persons with bipolar disorder. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing 18, 434-443
- Goossens, P.J.J., Hartong, E., Knoppert-van der Klein, E.A.M. & Van Achterberg T. (2008) Self-reported psychopathological symptoms and quality of life in outpatients with a bipolar disorder. Perspectives in Psychiatric Care, 44/4 275-284
- Goossens, P.J.J., Knoppert-van der Klein, E.A.M. & Van Achterberg T. Coping styles of outpatients with a bipolar disorder. (2008) Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 22/5 245-253
- Goossens, P.J.J., Van Wijngaarden B., Knoppert-van der Klein, E.A.M. & Van Achterberg T. (2008) Family caregiving in bipolar disorder: caregiver consequences, caregiver coping styles, and caregiver distress. International Journal of Social Psychiatry, 54/4 303-316
- Jonker E., Goossens P.J.J., Steenhuis I.H.M. & Oud N.E., (2008) Patient aggression in clinical psychiatry: perceptions of mental health nurses. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 15, 492-499
- Goossens, P.J.J., Beentjes, T.A.A., de Leeuw, J.A.M., Knoppert-van der Klein, E.A.M. & Van Achterberg T. (2008) Nursing bipolar disorder outpatients: what nurses actually do. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 22/1, 3-11
- Van der Voort T.Y., Goossens P.J.J., van der Bijl J.J. (2007) Burden, coping and needs for support of caregivers for patients with a bipolar disorder: A systematic review. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing 14, 679-687
- Goossens, P.J.J., J.A.M., Knoppert-van der Klein, E.A.M, Kroon. H, & Van Achterberg T. (2007) Self- reported care needs of outpatients with a bipolar disorder in The Netherlands: Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 14, 549-557
- Goossens, P. J. J., Van Achterberg T. & Knoppert van der Klein E.A.M. (2007) Nursing processes used in the treatment of patient with a bipolar disorder. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing. 16, 168-177
International presentations, both oral and posters
- Goossens P.J.J. Self management in Bipolar Disorder; recognizing prodromes of manic or depressive relapse STTI 20th biennial convention. Indianapolis; nov. 2009
- Goossens P.J.J., Van Achterberg T, Knoppert – Van der Klein E.A.M. Nursing processes used in the treatment of patients with bipolar disorder. ISPN conference. Greenville; April 2009.
- Van der Voort T.Y., Goossens P.J.J., Van der Bijl J.J. Together-and-still-alone: Qualitative research on burden, coping and needed support of spouses of patients with a bipolar disorder. ISBD conference. New Delhi; jan. 2008
- Peter Goossens: Who is performing an assessment and teaching of a client’s ability to recognize early warning signs of their bi-polar disorder? Are you able to do this as a nurse?
- Robert Fraser: For nurses outside of mental health, do you have tools to self manage mental health disorders and support patient’s self-care?